Brushing your teeth twice a day should be a very important part of your dental routine. There are many reasons to brush your teeth twice a day, some of them are common knowledge and some of them aren’t. We go through ten of the most important reasons below:
1. Save money – Prevention is cheaper than cure! Brushing your teeth twice a day will improve the health of your teeth and gums and help to prevent problems in the future – leaving you with lower dental bills.
2. Fresh Breath – Bacteria can build up in your mouth if you don’t brush your teeth regularly. You can prevent this build up by brushing twice a day – chewing sugar free gum after every meal can also help to prevent the build up of bacteria.
3. Stay kissable – Who wants to kiss someone with food between their teeth or bad breath? Brushing is the cheapest and most effective way to remove food & bacteria.
4. Prevent gum disease – Gingivitis (inflammation of the gums and the first stage of gum disease) is caused by plaque build-up in the area where your teeth meet your gums. This can lead to swollen gums that bleed when you brush them. Plaque is an accumulation of food and bacteria which appears in everyone‚Äôs mouth.
5. Reduce your chance of a heart attack or stroke – Bacteria from your mouth can make its way into your bloodstream and increase the likelihood of a build up cholesterol on your arteries, which in turn increase the chance of a heart attack or stroke.
6. Prevent or minimise Diabetes – Any gum disease can make it harder to control your blood glucose. The relationship between serious gum disease and diabetes is two-way. Not only are people with diabetes more susceptible to serious gum disease, but serious gum disease may have the potential to affect blood glucose control and contribute to the progression of diabetes.
7. Have a healthy baby – Gum disease has been shown to increase the chance of premature birth and low birth weight. It can also be one of the many causes of delayed conception and impotence. So get your mouth and gums healthy first.
8. Prevent Dementia – Some studies have shown that poor oral health increases your risk of developing dementia by a third.
9. Toothpaste – on your brush is the best way to apply fluoride and other desensitizers. Fluoride in toothpastes becomes part of a tooth‚Äôs surface, protecting the enamel from the acid released by plaque.
10. Remove stains – There are mild abrasives in toothpaste that remove debris and surface stains. Examples include calcium carbonate, dehydrated silica gels, hydrated aluminium oxides, magnesium carbonate, phosphate salts and silicates.
So that 2 minute brush, twice a day can actually save your life. The Dental and Hygiene team at Gwersyllt Dental Practice can provide even more information on brushing your teeth and keeping them clean. So for more information, either contact us via our website or call us directly today on 01978 757 409.